Sunday, July 24, 2011

Hundred Acre Woods


I took Thing 2 to see the new Winnie the Pooh movie on Friday.  She has been reminding me daily for about a month that we were going to see it--just us two (no Thing 1), as a date.  If you didn't know me in my younger years, you must know that I had a slight obsession with Winnie the Pooh.  He's cute, ok?  I used to have quite a collection.  I once decided I would make my entire kitchen Winnie the Pooh...but then I met the Onceler and he made fun of me. and my obsession.  So I resigned to Classic Pooh for Thing 1's nursery.

I think it may have scarred her.  She has NEVER been a fan, at all.  When discussing going to the movie, this became apparent when she asked why he is called Winnie the Pooh instead of Winnie the Pee.  It worked out so she could go with the Onceler to see Transformers 3.

So Thing 2 and I met some good friends at the movie.  The girls enjoyed the movie, and it was pretty cute.  But while watching it, I couldn't help but wonder if the characters were always that annoying.  I don't think they were. 

Because of my warped mind, I couldn't help but see the individual...issues presented by our friends the Hundred Acre Woods, easily the name of a mental institution:

1.  Tigger = Classic ADHD.  ADHD is characterized by lack of attention, hyper activity and impulsive behavior.  Tigger can't sit still, he's always hopped up as if he has had 15 cups of coffee.  He loses things--including his bounce--and he is very easily distracted.  He is a very sweet tiger, but his hyperactivity always puts him into different predicaments, despite his original good intentions.

2.  Rabbit = Classic OCD.  He's overly neat and orderly.  Ever notice how perfectly straight his rows in the garden are and how often he messes with them?  He seems to experience a great deal of anxiety when his friends mess up his house, his garden, etc.

3.  Eeyore = Severe Depression.  Depression is characterized by feeling sad, blue, unhappy, miserable or down in the dumps.  Describes the little "blue" donkey to a tee, eh?  Have we ever seen him smile?  Not even when his actual tail is found, my friends.  "Oh bother."

4.  Owl = general know-it-all.  I guess this isn't a disorder, but it could be.  Owl knows everything about everything.  His overconfidence is annoying, at best, since he actually is a bit of an idiot.  And yet his "need" to be right about everything seems to result in his constant "put down" of his friends.  To me, I sense a much bigger issue with Owl.  I feel he is still undiagnosed.

5.  Piglet = Severe anxiety.  He's afraid of anything and everything, including his shadow.  He lacks confidence and is constantly afraid something is going to happen to him, to his friends.  Christopher Robin goes to school and Piglet is convinced he has been kidnapped.  He needs to be medicated.

6.  Kanga and Roo seem to be fairly normal on the surface.  However, Kanga is easily described as a helicopter mom.  She hovers over Roo, very rarely allowing him to make his own decisions and/or actions.  I'm going to go far enough to throw out "The Hero Syndrome", google it.  Poor Roo, I see therapy in his future.  Anyone want to bet she still nurses him in an effort to still feel "needed"?

7.  Christoper Robin talks to his toys.  And he thinks they are real.  I think he is schizophrenic.

8.  Finally, Winnie the Pooh. Compulsive overeating is his poison.  He want to eat when he is happy, sad, afraid, alone.  He dreams about honey and its the first thing he thinks about when he wakes up.  He puts himself, his friends in harms way to feed his compulsion.  He even has delusions when he is unable to eat. 
Ultimately, Pooh is able to choose his friends over honey, so I think he is on the right path.

After looking a little deeper at the characters, Hundred Acre Woods doesn't seem so innocent, eh? 

No wonder it speaks to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment